Updated: Oct 10, 2019
1 cup of stock
½ tsp. butter
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. finely chopped onion
Little less than ¼ cup barley
¼ tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 small bay leaf
100g assorted fresh mushrooms (such as oyster, stemmed Portobello and stemmed shiitake), sliced
1 small garlic clove, minced
½ tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Bring the stock to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add barley, thyme, bay leaf and ½ cup warm stock; bring mixture to boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer until most of stock is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Add remaining stock little at a time, allowing stock to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until barley is tender, about 50 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in another nonstick skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
5. Stir in garlic. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
6. Mix in parsley and barley mixture and season with salt and pepper.
7. Spoon the risotto into a bowl and serve immediately.